Monday, May 14, 2012

Omani traditional garment


I happen to discover the beauty of our Omani traditional garment while looking at the fabulous colourful beads and the rich texture fabric on my mother's traditional clothes,  the (Omaniah) which is worn over trousers (sirwal) and the lihaf. What a beautiful dress. What spectacular details.  Oh my god, the colored yarns are just the beauty itself.  The dress makes me wonder, how do things change? How we abandon our traditional clothes and come to wear Sheila& Abaya. Watching my mum wearing these clothes takes me
years back to the days where everything was just simple. Where there was no such thing called abayaa. The time where was no restrictions and no complications. I have some pictures in my mind of the places, roads and festivals in the past, my mum combing my hair and dressing me the traditional garment. I feel like a little princess and my passion to wear the jewels which come with the dress exceed any other thing. Showing of my dress and jewels to others and hearing the complements was my biggest goal. I clearly remember myself running with my friends and our mothers' yells at us to watch out and to be careful but the funny thing was that they were asking us to take care of our clothes more than ourselves.

Such beautiful days.

Such beautiful clothes.

So guys, what do you think? Do you ever have this feeling of longing to the past? To the traditions that we grow up with since we were just a tiny little kids? What do you think about replacing our colourful traditional clothes with the black Abayaa and Shila which didn't exist in past days? I am really interesting to know your opinions about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment